Friday 7 August 2015

Me, A Researcher?


When I began this journey in the Masters in Learning and Technology, the part I most dreaded was research.  I had no idea how research had evolved, or how little I knew about research.  I was stuck in the mire of research courses from over twenty-five years ago.  Quantitative research with reams of numbers that left you limp and lifeless.  These numbers invaded dreams and waking life.

Imagine my surprise when my textbook, Mindful Inquiry in Social Research showed up in my mailbox.  I loved the title, and I couldn't wait to dive into the book.  And dive into it, I did.  It became my lunchtime and bedtime reading.  I couldn't put it down!  Statements like, "our philosophy of research, which we call mindful inquiry, is a synthesis of four intellectual traditions phenomenology, hermeneutics, critical social science, and Buddhism." My eyes were drawn to critical social science and Buddhism. I asked myself, how could a textbook on research include faith?  Not my faith necessarily, but I was drawn to this idea.  I am also a proponent of critical pedagogy, and I was convinced that critical social theory and critical pedagogy had to be linked somehow.  And in fact, they are!

This was an eye-opening experience.  I soon learned that research as I had imagined it, was not necessarily the only choice.  That there were many cultures of inquiry and many ways to shape and conduct research that focused on people and real community issues.  Research that's goal was to work towards a more socially just society, not just through gathering information, but turning that information that was people and issue focused into action.

My mind and my heart are now open to the idea of conducting primary research to improve the society in which I live.  My jumbled head sees potential research questions everywhere, in violence against women, women's equality, education, assistive supports for people with cognitive challenges, government policy, and legislation.  This world in my mind is endless and exciting.  A world that I hope someday to be able to be an active participant in creating knowledge and action towards social change that makes a difference for people.

Bentz, V.M. & Shapiro, J.J. (1998).  Mindful inquiry in social researchThousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    What an eye-opening experience indeed! I couldn't agree with you more. I too had a different picture of what research was and what it involved. It's interesting how the book Mindful Inquiry connects the ideas of Buddhism with research, this was definitely a surprise and helped erase those "limp and lifeless" images that I had of research involving numbers.

    I think you have made a very important point about opening your mind and heart to research. This sounds like the perfect combination to improving our society.

    Good luck with your future research endeavors!

    ReplyDelete